For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic I miss my Mom and Dad Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Mary556 On 2015.09.08 23:37
My Dad had an emergency episode two weeks ago, a sudden infection of his blood and urine, "SIRS" and sepsis. The good news is that he is recovering well and has been transferred to a Rehab facility. He needs IV antibiotics every day for six weeks and those could not be administered at home. Plus he needs two people to lift assist him right now. My father has two mechanical heart valves and there was concern that the infection could settle in his heart, but his doctor feels he is past that danger now.

In 63 years of marriage my parents have never been apart for as long as a week. The three times when each had to spend time in a nursing home, the other would drive over to visit every day. This time during Dad's hospitalization, it was very difficult emotionally. My father was in tears every time we talked on the phone, missing my Mom. Mom was sobbing in her sleep and having other disturbances. It seemed best if my mother could go over and be his roommate at the facility. My siblings all agreed and arranged the admission. So, as of three days ago, my parents are together again. I miss them but am very happy knowing they are where they need to be. My Dad will heal much better now.

My Mom's pressure sore advanced to an open wound ulcer because I did not know what it was and did not get help soon enough. Then she fell while I was in the room with her, turned away for a moment. She ended up having home health care (visiting nurse, physical therapist, social worker) and they made some safety recommendations... household help for me, wheelchair ramp in the garage, stair lift for the four stairs from kitchen to LR & BR, tilting wheelchair to replace Mom's old recliner, hospital beds. These six weeks should give us time to get necessary changes in place and hopefully give me a bit of rest as well.

My Mom will get physical therapy and speech therapy while she is at the Rehab. She had excellent care from the therapists when she was at the same place last summer.

By carman96 On 2015.09.08 23:41
Sorry Mary. At least they and you are getting some much needed help.
Wishing you the best.

By Mary556 On 2015.09.09 19:49
Thank you, dear Carman. I've missed hearing your voice around here.
Hope everything has been going well for you & your husband since your move. My best wishes for you, too.

God bless all of our PWPs and caregivers.

By Mary556 On 2015.10.30 17:57
Happy to say, my Mom is being discharged on Sunday and my Dad on Thursday. We are very grateful. Due to a disability I am homebound and was not able to visit my parents except by phone. We have been apart for eight-nine weeks. Whenever there are bumps in the road, Faith, Hope and Love remain ever strong and sustain us. I cannot wait to hold my Mom and Dad and to be with them. These are precious days. We will have a helper 24/7 now.

By ResistanceFutil On 2015.10.31 09:31
Happy to hear you will be reunited with your parents soon. And glad you will have help. Take care!

By Mary556 On 2015.10.31 14:10
thank you, dear

By carman96 On 2015.11.01 22:02
I'm glad that they are coming home and that you will have 24 hour help.
Such a sweet love story, its so nice that they were able to be together and can now be together at home.
Take care Mary

By Mary556 On 2015.11.11 14:21
Thanks for your kind words, Carman.
My heart is happy now that both of my parents are back home. They are happy to be together. My Mom does not always recognize my Dad (or me, or anyone), but my father is so hard of hearing that often-times he does not realize it.

We had to move everything out of my parents' bedroom to make enough space for two hospital beds. Most of our possessions are in storage boxes, shifting from room to room until I can sort through everything. It is still a bit stressful here. My Dad is still getting adjusted to so many changes at once; things are not in their familiar places. It will get better.

My Mom's live-in PCA's are great, very helpful, kind and knowledgeable. My mother lost some strength while she was at the Rehab facility and needs to be lifted sometimes. I am not strong enough to bear her weight. She has gotten somewhat stronger since she's been home.

God bless all PWPs and caregivers.

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you