For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Carbs disrupt medication? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By todohert On 2015.09.16 16:21
My father in law was diagnosed with PD a couple of months ago. He is taking medication Levadopa with not much success. We have noticed that when he eats a high carb meal, the next day he is very confused and has a very hard time getting around and sleeps all day. He is also a diabetic. He seems to be OK when he watches what he eats. Is there any correlation between PD, carbs and being a diabetic?

By lurkingforacure On 2015.09.16 22:50
I would guess that high carbs create a higher glycemic load and more inflammation which we know is bad for everyone and especially PWP, and probably even more so for someone who is also diabetic.

Dr. Wahls, in reversing her MS. went on a very low grain, low glycemic diet. I think she cut all grains initially and gradually added in occasional rice, and cut all sugars completely except for a piece of fruit a few times a week. I think I read that her focus was, in addition to eating very highly nutritious foods (translation: lots of veggies, at least 9 cups a day, and bone broth daily as well for minerals), getting and keeping her daily glycemic load as low as she could. Whatever the reason, her radical diet worked, and MS no longer rules her life. She wrote "Minding My Mitochondria" which tells how sick she was with MS. what she did, and gives lots of recipes towards the end of the book. Couldn't hurt to try it and see if it helps you FIL. I had to order the book online, none of our local bookstores carried it.

By LOHENGR1N On 2015.09.17 00:24
Todo hi and welcome to the forum. Was your Father-in-law diagnosed by a Neurologist or a Primary care Doctor? I'm curious as usually levodopa isn't prescribed so close to diagnosis only a couple of months. But sometimes age of the patient can factor into how soon it is prescribed. Again welcome to the forum, great people here who will help you in anyway they can.

By jcoff012 On 2015.09.21 00:14
Please watch the carbs with a person who is a diabetic! Carbs are a diabetic's enemy, and, yes there are many studies that state PD medication and diabetic medications may clash...again, it IS a struggle, but as a person who is pre-diabetic and on pills, not insulin, I know it is hard...but he needs to watch his carb intake to feel well. Be sure to talk to the doctor who is helping with his diabetes...always give the doctors all the information you can.

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you