For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Genetic connection or hereditary trait Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By makrivah On 2015.09.18 08:06
I have a friend who just told me that three men in her immediate family have/had PD. I'm wondering how many studies have been done about PD hereditary.

By mylove On 2015.09.18 09:20
Many. There's a connection. It seems to be more of the 'genetics loaded the gun, and then something else came along to pull the trigger' though. We have participated in several studies. Both my husbands father and uncle developed PD in later life. One died of it. My husband got the young onset version, triggered by his years of fertilizer and heavy metal occupational exposure.

By lurkingforacure On 2015.09.18 16:30
Mylove is right, there are a lot of genetic links. Problem is, though, it's not just one mutation, but many, that are now linked to PD. The latest research I have read indicates that it is too much of the alpha-synuclein protein that causes it to misfold and lead to Lewy Bodies, but there are many genes that apparently can code for excessive alpha-synuclein. I've also read that the misdiagnosis rate of PD with less than 5 years of symptoms is a whopping 53%, as opposed to 88% where symptoms have been present for more than 5 years. That seems so high when you consider how devastating and life-changing a diagnosis of PD is.

By jcoff012 On 2015.09.21 00:07
Carl's Mom had PD for over 22 years and died six years ago. shortly after her death, we found that HE has PD. Sad, but it does seem to run in some families.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you