For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic A Peaceful Goodbye Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Marilyn-NJ On 2015.11.20 06:16
I didn't always post but I always learned and was ever-thankful for the support of this generous forum.

David suffered from PD and Lewy Body Disease. He woke me up not being able to breathe. I hit his lifeline button and the paramedics were at my home in minutes. BP was 285/150. The hospital found that blood clots had traveled to his lungs. I knew that this development was the beginning of the end.

He survived a weeks stay at the hospital. They thinned his blood, he was comfortable and he seemed less disturbed with the visions he had been having at home for so long. He ate and sipped almost nothing. I moved him to an incredible facility as I knew I reached the end of my quality care expertise but my heart was breaking. I finally had the time and energy to care for emotionally rather than physically.

We sat with David on his first full day. He was clean and dressed and sleeping in his wheelchair. The sleep was deep. He hands were so very cold and he was slowly leaving us-in his quiet dignified way. Hospice was called in and as they went to administer morphine for comfort, he finally and peacefully left us.

I asked that my husband be clean after the week of medical care. With gratitude and a touch of amazement my last visual of David was that of a handsome, 66 year old man free of Parkinson's.

Thank you all for sharing and allowing me to have a roadmap in this journey. It made this last leg that much easier for me.

Marilyn

By dans316 On 2015.11.20 07:47
Marilyn,

My deepest sympathy.

Me Ke Aloha
Dan

By makrivah On 2015.11.20 08:19
My sincere condolences. Find peace in knowing you provided loving care.

By LOHENGR1N On 2015.11.20 09:01
Marilyn, my condolences to you and yours. In these days ahead laugh when you can, cry when you must and take time to heal. Sincerely Al

By VioletV On 2015.11.20 10:50
Marilyn,
Sincere condolences on your loss.
Best wishes,
VioletV

By jcoff012 On 2015.11.20 17:19
Marilyn, your description of his final days was beautiful and touching. May you find peace in knowing he is at peace. Hugs to you, Jane

By Trusting On 2015.11.20 23:29
I am so sorry for your loss of your husband. I know you find comfort in knowing he isn't suffering any longer. May you find peace and comfort in the days to come. Blessings to you.

By Mary556 On 2015.12.07 07:54
Dear Marilyn, you have been in my thoughts and prayers. I'm very sorry for your loss of your David. Hoping you will find peace and comfort as you go forward, one day at a time. I was always grateful for your presence and support. Peace be with you.

By lurkingforacure On 2015.12.08 20:39
I am so sorry for your loss and wish you peace as you move forward. Thank you for sharing and being a part of our special group.

By moonswife On 2015.12.12 03:18
Marilyn, I wept when I read your sad, sweet post. So many of us face the same future, if only we could accept it with the grace and dignity you have. Peace to you and your family.

By Daybyday On 2015.12.13 19:50
Marilyn,
I too, have been touched by the description you gave of your dear husband's last days. You have faced it all so bravely. We all read your account so carefully, imagining ourselves in your shoes, praying inside that we'll be able to handle it all with half as much grace as you. Carry on with the knowledge that you took wonderful care of him and what a priceless, precious gift that was you gave him. He's forever in your heart.
Joanne

By carman96 On 2015.12.17 09:07
So very sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing. We will all inevitably have a similar experience.
Peace and hugs to you Marilyn.

By JulieB On 2015.12.28 18:45
You have always been such an encouragement to me, Marilyn, and we seemed to have much in common. I was sorry to read of your husband's passing, but know the relief you must feel for him. Michael has been gone for 45 weeks now, and we all still cry at the drop of a hat, but express our gratitude that his suffering ended. God bless you now....

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you