For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Dangerous after sundown Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By VioletV On 2015.11.27 15:17
Clearly my PWP's cognitive symptoms are growing.

Last Tuesday we drove about an hour and a half away to pick up the teenager from her school's vacation drop off point at an airport. We stopped for dinner before heading home, so that it was dark when we began the trip north. My husband dozed off almost immediately, but about 20 minutes later woke up, completely confused. He became convinced that he was being abducted and was very very frightened. He began to thrash about, took off his seat belt, rolled down his window and began to shout "help. police!" He threw things out the window, tried to open his door, and then began to grab at me. I was driving 60 mph on the Interstate.

Our poor 17-year old had to unbuckle her seatbelt, lean over into the front seat and physically restrain her dad to keep him from either opening his door, throwing books and water bottles from the window or, worst of all, grabbing the shift handle and steering wheel. He has bruises on his hands and wrists from being held so hard and struggling for so long.

I was afraid to stop the car for fear that he would jump out in the dark and run off God knows where. Strangely, when he is in these states, he is not stiff and does not tremor, so that he is very strong (he works out with small weights daily, remember ) and agile. So all I could do was to keep driving, to try to distract him, to keep him oriented (which didn't work) and to pray that we would make it home in one piece.

We did, and after another half hour of barricading the doors so he wouldn't leave the house he began to really wake up. He was then mortified at his behavior, which he vaguely remembered.

We've been told by his retired neurologist, who knows him well, that it was not unusual but not true RSBD, but an extended dream-state, with frank disorientation. He doesn't recommend meds, since by the time the meds work the episode will be almost over.

I'm thinking smelling salts, to wake him up fully, and have asked his current neurology practice about this.

Thankfully he has decided on his own that he cannot ride in front in the car, that we need special safety locks over the seat belt buckle and to engage the child door locks in back. I'm lucky that he is aware and responsible enough to know that we could all have been killed. But that is about as far as my luck extends these days.

Good grief.
VV

By Lynnie2 On 2015.11.27 22:19
Oh, my I am so sorry you had to go through hell.
I am glad everyone was okay and you didn't have a accident.
I am also glad he realizes he should ride in the back seat.
My husband gets a little confused if he falls asleep before bedtime and I've gone to bed before him.
I've decided we should go to bed together from now on and not let him get ready for bed by himself after sleeping. I noticed that night that he left the TV on and when I got up around 4 a.m. it was on, but no picture, just the writing before you push the button for the picture on the satellite.
Take care and hope things are better for you while driving. My husband doesn't drive either and I am always helping him to fasten the seat belt.

By carman96 On 2015.11.30 04:38
Sorry Violet.
My husband hasn't done the abduction screaming thing, but while I'm driving he has taken his seatbelt off, shifted my car into neutral, opened his door, plays with the locks, radio, air conditioner, windows, goes through the glove box, etc. It is so nerve wracking and dangerous because I'm so distracted! I never really thought about putting him in the back seat, but it's a good idea!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you