For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic A bit of optimism Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By VioletV On 2015.12.10 18:24
I have just discovered a book from the UK,
"Contented Dementia," which offers a totally different way of thinking about and relating to a person with growing dementia and memory loss.

Just reading the book's summary on Amazon, along with going to the website of the organization has given me a new way of relating to my PWP husband - starting with "don't ask questions". It makes perfect sense not to keep giving him opportunities to feel distressed over things that he can't remember or doesn't know. Nothing here has changed, but I feel less stressed and more loving toward him in the last 2 days, and that counts for a lot!

Just thought others might want to check out the website, or read the book.
VV

By makrivah On 2015.12.11 12:10
Violet, you are spot on!
I read the comments etc on Amazon about "Contented Dementia". I will be ordering the book. Just from the comments I already picked up a super hint. DON'T ASK QUESTIONS. Just that simple. When you ask a question, the person is compelled to answer. Since they struggle to come up with a reply, words are hard to find, stories are "made up" so they have something to say, etc. I have used this approach yesterday and this morning. So far so good. Give it a try if your PWP (or anyone else with a form of dementia) suffers from dementia. I put this advice in the category of "put aside your expectations"...life gets less complicated and much less stressful.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you