For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Hip Fracture Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By sosad25 On 2015.12.17 12:13
My husband fell last night and fractured his hip and will now need a hip replacement. They can't do the surgery today as he takes Plavix (blood thinner) and that needs to be out of his system prior to surgery. I am pushing for the surgery to be done using a spinal block rather than general anesthesia. I have a call into our MDS/neurologist about the surgery and they said to have the surgeon call them. I am so fearful about all of this and the recovery period. Has anyone else's PWP had a hip replacement? My husband is 67 and has had Parkinson's for almost 22 years. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

By Lynnie2 On 2015.12.18 09:18
I am so sorry about your husband and his hip replacement. You don't need this I am sure.
We haven't had this problem, but my husband often gets off balance when getting up from the chair, especially if he's been sleeping.
I am often afraid that he might fall.
I've told him to get up and stand for a few minutes before moving.
They say not to cross over your leg when turning but he won't remember to do it.
Good luck with the surgery and I hope he gets along okay. I know it isn't easy especially with a PWP for any surgery.

By moonswife On 2015.12.21 06:09
So, see if the hospital will let you stay in his room to insure his PD meds are on time, correct, with the proper food or drink and do not interact with any pain Rx. We had issues and I had to bully a few that thought it was ok to let him sleep through doses, and then got irritated when he could not move his arms to use the call button. It's dystonia nurses, you learned about it in school, just listen to the family. A hug to you in this trying time

By sosad25 On 2015.12.21 14:55
Thank you both for your replies. I have been staying in the room with him. It's odd because Saturday the day following surgery he seemed pretty good from a confusion standpoint etc. even though he was on IV pain meds. Starting last evening he started being "loopy" and much more confused. They stopped the IV Dilauded and started giving oral Tramadol and Tylenol for pain. He is sleeping about90% of the time and hasn't been able to accomplish standing or walking at all with the PT. From a medical standpoint I have been told that he is cleared to leave the hospital for rehab. So they will be assessing him to see where we go. I would like him to go to the same acute rehab that he has been in before but I don't think he can meet the criteria of 3 hours a day of therapy at this point. So we maybe initially going to a skilled nursing/rehab.
This is going to be a long haul. I just he starts to make some progress.
Thanks again.

By carman96 On 2015.12.22 00:08
Sorry that happened. I hope he has a good recovery.
My husband falls all the time and so far hasn't broken anything.
The anesthesia and pain killers can make recovery more difficult, according to his MDS. She says no surgery unless absolutely necessary.
Damn PD makes everything so much harder.
Good luck to you

By Mary556 On 2015.12.22 08:53
You and your husband are remembered in my prayers, Madeleine. Hope he will get his strength back soon and do well in rehab.

Aside from illness and meds, being in an unfamiliar place is so disorienting /confusing for our loved ones. We found it helpful to sing to my Mom. It calmed her to focus on the familiar words and tunes. Just listening to music is good therapy. We had a few songs that we would sing over and over, routinely every day. Sometimes Mom sang words with me (sometimes she belted them out!), sometimes she just followed silently. She especially liked "Alouette" (in French) and "Good Morning to You" at the start of the day. That one always made her smile. Saying morning prayers and night prayers was our special time. As much as she would be at a loss for words and have confusion, she could often say her prayers, if nothing else.

Telling your husband what day it is and what time of day, announcing out loud to him what the plans are for the day, that may help his confusion as well. I have a feeling you are doing all these things already.

God bless you.
God bless all PWPs and caregivers.

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you