For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic A Common But Under-diagnosed Problem in PD Patients: REM Sleep Behavior Disorder Guide Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By jgkraininMD On 2016.01.09 20:30
[deleted]

By Wifey On 2016.01.10 00:29
I never longer sleep with my husband - a year ago it was so bad that he grabbed both my arms in his sleep, started kicking the hell out of my shins, and the only way I could break his grip was to fall out of bed backwards.

A few months later, he sat up in bed, leaned over me, and said "you're dead."

Too creepy for me.

By ResistanceFutil On 2016.01.10 23:11
My husband and I began separate bedrooms after several years of him acting out his vivid dreams. Many nights of hits, kicks and punches until my fear of having my nose broken or being severely injured disrupted my sleep as much as his acting out his dreams.

Now, after 7 years of sleeping apart, we're back in the same bed. He's on medication that seems to help. Only some talking and not much movement in the 2 months we're back together.

By mylove On 2016.01.11 09:06
Wonder why the dreams are always bad?

Ben's just started this, but it's been soon enough after the Rytary that we are trying to determine if it's side effect or just progression. So far it's just been occasional. But in the new paradigm of six hour sleep nights, to lose time to vivid dreaming sure hurts.

I'm determined not to give up on the bed until the bitter end. Bedtimes the best together time we've got.

By moonswife On 2016.01.11 09:57
This is the exact behavior that moved my husband's diagnosis by Dr Wm Miller from "essential tremor" to PD. I was launched two different nights out of the bed onto the dresser, leaving me black and blue. That was about 1996, I think. Thus began the slippery slope sinemet sends him down. Tremors got increasingly worse until he lost 100 lbs in a single year shaking violently. He was not one that was still when asleep. He had our bed a rockin' most nights, and not in fun. Good thing we live in SoCal and small earthquakes happen weekly. Only after DBS in 2010 did he regain life as he once knew it. We have NEVER been told that this behavior was an early marker of later neurological issues, particularly in men. Wow, scary to think that some chalking up these "night terrors" to PTSD might actually have PD someday down the road. They would likely live their life differently if they knew how early they would be robbed of their physical abilities. I know we would have fished the lakes that you have to hike into in the Sierras a lot more. Now he is lucky to toss a line off the Green Pier in Catalina.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you