For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Parkinson's and Learning Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By VioletV On 2016.02.04 19:01
http://www.factsonhealth.info/2016/02/04/how-parkinsons-disease-affects-the-mind/

I just read this article on PD and the mind-- there is a lot in it, but my attention was grabbed by the information that once on PD medications (especially agonists) patients with PD are unlikely to learn from negative consequences (or 'punishment' in learning theory jargon). Which tells me that all the criticism in the world isn't going to let my PD husband change things. So being softer to him (which I already try) and praising/reinforcing the things that I'd like him t do will work more.... So very interesting.

VV

By Mary556 On 2016.02.08 22:13
Thanks for sharing, VV. The explanation about learning from positive vs. negative reinforcements helped me to understand why a PWP might ditch her walker and then fall, not remembering a previous fall under similar circumstances.
I had not heard the term "punding" before, but think that may have been one of my Mom's symptoms also.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you