For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic mineral oil Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2016.03.16 17:57
Here I am again, needing to know if we are the only ones with an issue, and what we can do about it.

My husband tells me our floors are sticky, and he can't move his feet because the floors won't let him. While I am not the best housekeeper out there, I do try to keep a tidy home, including the floors. They are clean. Also, we have either hard tile or wood laminate floors in our house, no carpet anywhere, so the surfaces of our floors are already pretty smooth and un-sticky to begin with.

So imagine my horror this morning when I went into the bathroom and slipped and nearly broke my neck-he had poured mineral oil all over the floor so that he could slide to where he wanted to go! Creative? Beyond question, but not particularly safe, which was obviously not his priority. I got it all off the floor finally and now am grappling with how to help him move about without hurting himself or the family.

Who ever said PD takes away creativity? We may not always be able to understand what he is saying, but his solution to feeling stuck deserves a medal! What do you do about this, besides removing all mineral oil from the house which I have now done? I fear that if he can't find it, he will use lotion, shampoo, soap- anything slippery-who knows. He is extremely smart and even more resourceful.

Thanks for any suggestions:)

By exhausted wife On 2016.03.16 18:57
This is beyond dangerous. He can break his neck if he "slides" out of control.

Your husband seems reluctant to address the need to change in order to accommodate the devastation that is Parkinson's. Again, please address this with his medical providers, and soon.

By LOHENGR1N On 2016.03.16 19:21
Lurking, If the "floor is sticky" it sounds more and more his movement problems (the just standing for a time like you mentioned before) are freezing. The Parkinson's gait of shuffling feet is a classic symptom of the Disease. We are not known for multitasking and the old saying of having trouble doing two things at once fits Us Parkies well. Get in touch with his Neurologist and explain what's going on. When "normal" people step it involves picking the foot up and swinging it in the direction you want to go. With P.d. We don't do both we tend to shuffle or slide the foot and not pick it up or if we do it is only a little off the surface. So we stub our toes or trip over minor uneven surfaces. See if the Doc can set up an appointment with a pt or ot to give him some pointers on raising the foot when he walks. None of this sh*t is fun but we have to try what we can to remain mobile. He's not the first to need instruction and he won't be the last, we all get there sometime or another. It's easier to explain to the Docs that you have P.D. and fell because you didn't lift your foot high enough to clear the curb than you fell because you decided to spread mineral oil on the floor in the middle of the night. Good luck he sure is keeping you busy!

By lurkingforacure On 2016.03.16 23:56
I should have clarified that he was sliding on the oily floor on his hands and knees, not standing up on his feet! I have noticed that very recently, when he is having a particularly hard time, either he is really dizzy or his legs aren't working like he wants, he will resort to crawling on his hands and knees, which is what he did in the oily bathroom. So he wasn't in a huge amount of danger, since he was on his hands and knees, but since the rest of the family didn't know about the oily floor he created, we were.

His neuro has already referred him for Big Therapy, but he told me he "doesn't want to do Big Therapy" and won't go. I can't make him go, I know that. It's such a difficult journey, PD is.

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you