For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Taking pills Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Lynnie2 On 2016.07.11 16:42
Lately I've been having problems getting pills into my husband for the 3 p.m. dosage.
He takes 2 at 7 a.m. and 1 at 11 a.m. and 1 at 1 p.m. ; 2 at 3 p.m. and 2 at 8:30 plus his morning (at breakfast) pills for heart which are usually 3, so it seems he is taking pills all the time.
I can see he is tired of it, and around 3 p.m. I guess it's his down time even though he naps during the day.
Half the time he puts the pill in his mouth, but it is at the edge of his mouth and not fully in the whole mouth and therefore it doesn't go down as easily.
If I tell him to open his mouth, he just clamps it shut or if I push it further in, he gets upset and starts to drool which makes it impossible to get pills to stay.

For example today I managed to get one pill into him but with difficulty as I mentioned above, so I left it for a while and put the other pill on the table.
I said if you take it I'll give you a butter tart. (he loves butter tarts)
He was complaining for a while, and finally picked it up and took it.
When the PWS (personal service worker)
comes one day per week for 6 hours, she tries to give the 3 p.m. pills when he isn't sleepy. If you wake him up it's harder still.

I also told him that if he doesn't take them, he won't be able to move.

Does anyone else have this problem and have any tips for me to make it easier?

By jcoff012 On 2016.07.11 21:14
I take ten pills a day for my blood pressure, diabetes control, etc. May I make a suggestion? Talk to his neuro and tell him/her the problem. He can help. My doctors did---I was having trouble swallowing two of the pills, so they changed them to coated pills. One doctor also told me to split them up into AM/PM and increased the dosage. I also asked them (2 of them) if I could put the ones thT taste bad in some fruit, ice cream or applesauce so I could swallow them...they said "of course'! That really helped!

My husband isn't yet having many problems taking his PD meds, but he agrees...get ahold of your husband's doctor and get his advice, changes, etc.Good luck!

By Lynnie2 On 2016.07.17 12:51
I think when he has problems taking them he is just tired or if I wake him up to take them, he is confused.
He has some dementia, so that is working on him too.
Lately if he is awake a little while before the 3 p.m. I'll give them to him rather than waking him up. Or give them a little later.
I usually have to sit and make sure he takes them otherwise he might leave them or sometimes they end up in the glass of water.
Thanks for your advise, but I can't coat them which wouldn't help anyway, and I can't change the amount of pills so it something I just have to contend with.
Hopefully he'll be able to swallow the pills for a long time.
I know there is an attachment where the drug is put into their body, but hopefully we don't come to that for a long time.

By flowers12 On 2016.07.17 15:47
I try to not wake my hubby up to take pills because if I wake him up he sometimes not only doesn't want to take the pills but he gets very confused and sometimes the dementia crazy talk will start. I know that if he is still asleep at pill time he will wake up soon to go pee and I just wait. I have to adjust the time for the next dose though. One time I woke him up to take his pills and he spit them accross the room. That was kinda funny and I had to laugh it was so unexpected.

By LOHENGR1N On 2016.07.17 16:10
We really should take our medication at the scheduled time. It is important for a couple of reasons. One is we then get the benefits of those medicines working and hopefully giving us shorter off times between those doses and getting the medicine timely it is working the way the Doctor prescribed it to function. Secondly if you can't give it when He's sleeping or don't waken Him to take it let His Neurologist know. So they can work with that knowledge. (Many times a Neurologist will prescribe a smaller dose of medicine taken a couple hours before the patient gets up for the day so they have a little medicine in the system to make rising and getting ready to start the day easier if the patient doesn't get that dose then any benefit they would receive isn't there) The Neurologist assumes he is getting his medicine as prescribe so it is important to inform them if he is not. If the Doctor doesn't know they may or will tweak the dosages trying to enhance the medicines effects. Many PWP have problems getting their medicines on schedule in hospitals and don't do good until they get back on schedule. So always let the Doctor know and go by what they say. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you