For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic revoking driver's licsence Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By chrissypoo On 2016.10.17 21:05
How do you know when it is time to give up driving? My husband's foot has slipped of the brake a few months ago, and then this weekend. The first time he was in a line and tapped the car in front of him, this weekend he was backing up and tried to stop, but hit a mailbox. Not driving would take so much independence away from him and really hurt his emotional stability.

By LOHENGR1N On 2016.10.17 23:21
We have had several threads on this throughout the years here on the forum. If He is starting to tap the car ahead trying to stop and hit a mailbox backing up it is time to bring up the subject. Discuss it with His Doctor and make it known he is now hitting things. If not driving would take so much independence away from him and hurt his emotional stability, then you have to consider what hitting and hurting or killing a child darting out into the road do to him? Or hitting anyone for that matter. I quit driving several years ago, my wake up was school was getting out I was in traffic several car lengths behind the closest car... I knew P.D. was slowing my reflexes so I used extra caution in driving. Ahead a child ran out into the road the car ahead stopped and I stopped however I almost ran into the rear of the car. That was enough for me I knew I would never stopped soon enough to avoid hitting that child had I been driving the car ahead. I don't think I could live with anything like that, independence be dammed for me my going to the store for a news paper or lottery ticket, pack of smokes, whatever isn't worth taking a life or crippling someone. And don't kid yourselves it happens. If anything like that happened my emotional stability would be shattered, broken, so I stopped driving. Is it hard at first yes. I'm sure others will respond with Their own stories to help you also. Welcome to the forum you've found a great place filled with great people willing to help anyway they can.

By chrissypoo On 2016.10.18 11:48
Thank you for your caring response. Sometimes I feel so alone dealing with this and it helps to know that others have faced this too. I will be calling his doctor today.

By jcoff012 On 2016.10.18 17:14
Hi, Chrissy. We live in California. In this state, you are required to inform DMV of your PD diagnosis. My husband has had to go to DMV every two years for retesting and a personal interview. We have learned through all of this that family members are not permitted to have DMV take away the PWP's license and sometimes, even a doctor's recommendation won't do it...HAS to be done IN the DMV office!

I hope whatever happens, your husband is included in the decision. I fully understand his dilemma, as I haven't been allowed to drive for two years now because of my damaged retinas. I just underwent cataract surgery, so I have an appointment on Thursday for glasses...then next Tuesday with DMV...Fingers crossed!

It IS hard to not drive, but I fully agree with Al...The thought of hurting or killing someone outweighs my need to "get out of the house". I am, however, not the one with PD, and my husband will have a difficult time when the time comes.

By lurkingforacure On 2016.10.18 22:43
This is a no brainer for us: if there were an accident, there would be overwhelming and consuming guilt, not to mention liability. Seems like a defense would be difficult, as most people would be inclined to believe the PWP was at fault somehow.

I read of a case in another country where the PWP was retroactively denied insurance coverage for an accident because they failed to advise the insurance company of the PD diagnosis. I guess the insurance company's position was that if they had known about the PD, they would not have insured the driver. Fair or not, that is their choice, and they refused to cover the accident (and apparently were within their rights to do so).

I know how hard it is for my husband to not drive anymore. It really does suck, and makes life harder for everyone. But I could never forgive myself if he had an accident. And...I know how I would feel if someone in my family were injured by a PD driver.

There are studies out there that show that PWP are not capable of accurately judging how impaired their driving really is, and even their neuros were significantly off in how bad a driver their patient was. I knew in our house that the driving days were over when our youngest told me daddy made the car go in the wrong places, although my husband denied it. I think no matter where you are in the PD path, this is a really hard patch to weather through.

By flowers12 On 2016.10.19 00:02
My hubby never did enjoy driving for pleasure so it wasn't quite so traumatic for him to loose his license. I was fortunate though that his license was up for renewal and we discussed the possibility of not renewing due to his slow reflexes. He wanted to take the test and so we went down to the DMV and he failed the written test. I told him that if he wanted he could take it again. We went back the next week and we again talked about how he would feel if he had an accident or hurt someone while driving. He decided to not take the test but to get his ID card instead.

It was very hard for him to realize that he would never be able to drive again but he understood what might happen. In our case it doesn't make any difference to our being mobile because I drive. Losing the ability to drive is definately a devasting blow to someone who has no other means of getting around.

I forgot to mention that the reason my hubby failed the written test was because you have to use the computer which he was totally confused by and no one is allowed to help with it. That makes it very difficult for older people who never used a computer before.

By Trusting On 2016.10.30 21:46
I'm sorry but I just saw this post. My husband was driving so bad that no one would ride with him. He wouldn't accept his driving was really that bad so he agreed to let the VA do a test that would see if he should drive or not. He never even got to get into a car with one of them b/c he couldn't process the paper part of the tests. He tried using excuses but within a few weeks he received a notice from our DMV that his license had been revoked. It has been hard on him but he knows he could never pass a new test. I'm so thankful that no one was hurt with his driving. Maybe you could suggest to your husband to just agree to be tested. Blessings.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you