For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Bed liners Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By mylove On 2016.11.21 08:28
Hey there....does anyone have a recommendation for a light duty, NON CRINKLY bed pad for occasional use? We had a reason to need one on our brand new mattress this morning, and while it's a very very infrequent occasion, it's happened a couple of times. I want to put something in place but I don't really want to hear it when we move around. So it can't be "crunchy". Any ideas?

By flowers12 On 2016.11.21 11:03
I use Assurance Ultimate pads, 23 by 35 inches. I place it under the sheet and it is soft and doesn't make any crinkly noise at all. There is very seldom use for it but I always keep one on the bed for "just in case". I bought them at Walmart, don't remember how much but not expensive.

By bksquared On 2016.11.21 17:45
I bought bed protector pads at Walmart. They are fabric and washable. I added stick on Velcro to the edges to of the pad and mattress protector pad keep it in place. No sound and no wrinkles or lumps. Toss in washer with soiled sheets.

By bksquared On 2016.11.21 17:46
I bought bed protector pads at Walmart. They are fabric and washable. I added stick on Velcro to the edges of the pad and mattress protector pad to keep it in place. No sound and no wrinkles or lumps. Toss in washer with soiled sheets.

By jcoff012 On 2016.11.21 19:19
Do you have a medical supply store? They carry several kinds...

By mylove On 2016.11.21 22:10
Thanks for the tips! I'll go on a hunt to check those out.

By LC On 2016.11.22 13:35
I use the ones from Walmart. I even put one on the car seat for long rides just in case.

By mylove On 2016.11.24 09:20
So...my hubby actually took this duty on himself and ended up buying the Serta one from Walmart. It does seem crinkly, but I'll reserve judgment until I actually get it on the bed.

I debated whether to tell him I was going to put on a bed pad or not, because I didn't want him to feel bad. In the end, I reminded myself that - he knew we had to change the bed, he'd already felt bad for the accident (which was truly no big deal, and we treated it as such), and we just went down and bought this brand new $1000 mattress, so it absolutely made sense to protect it. I reminded him that when he brings me coffee in bed there's always the chance I could spill it, plus after two kids, coughing and sneezing suddenly can be "rude surprises" for me as well. And really - I should have bought the bed protector to begin with. It was also very much a one-off thing (on some heavy duty pain meds and just couldn't wake in time), but....you know, could happen again.

I really struggle with how much to share with him and how much to keep to myself. On one hand, I hate reminding him of the "elephant in the room" issues, and want him to both forget about PD as much as he can and to have a sense of dignity. On the other, we are a team, and we have treated PD like just another challenge to tackle as a team. There's no shame in this. It's just another blip on the radar that we have to find ways to deal with. This approach may change as we get further in, but so far it's working. If anyone has insight to share on how you approach this, I'd love to learn. So far we are just muddling through.

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you