For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic He is free at last Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By DBKinNC On 2016.12.02 21:52
My soulmate, best friend and precious Husband gave up the bonds of Parkinson's Disease and Dementia on Saturday, 11/26. After a week of struggle, he peacefully slipped away. This was, by far, the hardest thing I have ever experienced. I cannot explain the depth of pain I feel missing him so much now. We would have celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary on Jan. 1st. Joe was a real trouper all the way through this despicable disease. Joe Ben rarely complained, and if he did, it had to be something super bad. Even until he was semi-conscious a week before he passed away, his buddy Mike would ask him every day "How are you, buddy", and Joe would always say "Great!". It has been my privilege to walk this bumpy and cavernous path with Joe Ben. We left no rock unturned in looking for anything that would extend his life and enhance it. It has been 12 years this month since his official diagnosis.
Joe defied most of the standard symptoms for the end of PD, and did it his way - peacefully.

If any of you have questions, I am happy to answer them. I will continue to come here for awhile because all of you have been there for me. When I was so scared at the beginning of this journey, you were there for me. You taught me what the entire road ahead could look like and how to navigate it, and for that I will always be so grateful.

I will tell you that our Hospice Team was so incredible. Transitions Life Care was the bridge we needed. They were there for us at every turn since April. They showed compassion, professionalism, respect and deep caring. Joe and I grew to LOVE our Team. So don't wait to long to call in Hospice. I am thankful a friend of mine who volunteers with Transitions told me to call them to have Joe evaluated back in Aprili (before I thought I would need them), and we were so happy she did that because after an evaluation, they started immediately. It made all the difference in the process for us. It was so comforting to have them here so much, checking on Joe, ordering things he needed to make him comfortable and as happy as he could be, from the Volunteer who was here 4 hours a week to the CNA who daily bathed and dressed Joe to his incredible RN Case Manager who was here weekly - and then so many others that last week. We could not have asked for better care.
To all of you I send my love and deep gratitude for all you have done for me during this long journey. I pray your journey's are enhanced by all you learn here on this forum. God bless all of you, Love, Donna

By jcoff012 On 2016.12.02 22:26
Donna, I am glad you posted. Your love for Joe shines and your positive attitude is inspiring. I wish we lived closer, but know we all care deeply.

As I said last week, Joe would be proud of you. You are an amazing woman of faith, a wonderful wife, and a caring, meticulous caregiver. May *you* find peace after the memorial.

Thank you for being someone we can all aspire to become. Hugs and love to you.

By LOHENGR1N On 2016.12.02 22:56
Donna, My sincerest condolences to You and Yours. In these days ahead laugh when you can, cry when you must and take time to heal. Sincerely Al

By lurkingforacure On 2016.12.03 12:57
I am so sorry for your loss and wish you peace as you move forward. Your loving care of your Joe was inspiring to us all.

By moonswife On 2016.12.03 14:45
Donna, I am crying as I read this. You have been such a strong woman...and saying you will still be here for us is proof of that. My sincere condolence for your loss of your Joe. We are 15 years into this, 47 years of marriage and learning daily. Hospice is such a crutch. Used it for my Mom in 1999 and admire the dedicated people that work in that field.

By makrivah On 2016.12.03 21:05
My sincere condolences. I pray that you are at peace knowing that he is no longer struggling.

By Daisy123 On 2016.12.07 16:05
Donna,
Please accept my deepest condolences on your sad loss. I hope that you will take some comfort in knowing that Joe's suffering has finally ended and that you did your very best for him every day.

I followed your many posts from a few years ago and was always touched by the strength of your determination and conviction to help ease his pain. Thank you for that.

Take care x

By flowers12 On 2016.12.08 12:19
You have been there for him throughout this battle and know he is at rest. I'm so sorry for your loss. Peace to you.

By Maddie52 On 2016.12.08 13:42
Donna,
I know how difficult a time this is for you as my husband passed away after 23 years with PD in October. Please accept my heartfelt sympathy.
I also want to reaffirm what you told everyone about hospice. We went on hospice in July and part of me thought that it was too soon and that we didn't really need it. I am so happy I made the decision to accept hospice. They made those last few months much better. I don't think that even with all the family and help I had during the last two weeks of Gregg's life I would have made it through without hospice. They are a wonderful organization for the patient and family.
Peace to you and your family.
Madeleine

By umajane On 2016.12.10 00:01
Dear Donna,
I am so sorry for your loss....I lost my husband in July..I can't believe it has been almost 5 months..
We had Hospice for only 4 days. They were wonderful in every respect. My husband broke his hip and passed in 4 days.
However I wished I had called them sooner.
They would have been so helpful and comforting and calm. I hope everyone who reads this will use Hospice when the time is right.

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you