For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Can anything be done about excessive drooling? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By flowers12 On 2016.12.23 16:13
My hubby is experiencing more than usual drooling with very thick saliva. Does anyone have an idea of what may help with it?

By VioletV On 2016.12.25 12:12
Don't have an answer but my husband has been lately asking the very same question.

By jcoff012 On 2016.12.25 14:39
Mine is starting to have a lot, too...he sleeps with a wash cloth on his pillow...his Mom had to wear a bib, like a small child, to keep her clothes from getting wet...no big deal...we do what we must!

By LOHENGR1N On 2016.12.25 16:50
You can try Artane (Trihexyphenidyl) to help with drooling or some get botox (sp?) injections. Some people use wrist bands (like tennis players wear) they are terry cloth, absorbent and sportier than bibs, quicker than dragging a handkerchief out of your pocket. I believe the botox is injected into or near the salivary duct to narrow them. How this might interfere with digestion I don't know as it is our first step in digesting food is saliva. Remember there are always trade offs to medicine or other treatments so unless it is or becomes really bad it might be best to just leave it alone. We patients as it stands now are at best oval pegs trying to be fit into round holes and the more we try the more problems we seem to unearth.

By umajane On 2016.12.26 22:10
Flowers,
Botox worked great for my late husband..
It was a blessing and there was no pain or discomfort for him.

By flowers12 On 2016.12.28 21:14
Thank you all for your suggestions. Now that I asked here today he doesn't seem to be as bad. I will see how it goes and ask the doctor about botox.
Artane, Trihexyphenidyl is used to treat the stiffness, tremors, spasms, and poor muscle control of Parkinson's disease. Wouldn't that interact with Sinimet

By LOHENGR1N On 2016.12.28 22:27
No Artane does not interact with the sinimet it also is used to help with drooling. It has been around a long time and acts similar to Requip without the major side-effects of requip.

By IneedHelp On 2017.01.03 20:00
I am new to this sight ... and I am trying to maneuver the pages ? any helpful suggestions ?..But to comment I take care of My Husband last year he was diagnosed with PD but he also has Dementia , he is not wanting to swallow his slivia , and seems to have a hard time drinking water . what can I expect ? is this a normal symptom ? I have looked for info but I can't find any Info to help me ... Iam beside my self

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you