For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Namenda XR Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By flowers12 On 2017.04.26 21:22
We saw the neurologist today and he suggested we add Namenda XR to my hubby's Aricept at night. He said it's being used not just for Alzheimer's but also for Dementia. He thinks it may help with the difficulty in getting his words out, his inability to understand what I'm saying sometimes and his confusion. Does anyone's PWP take this medication? There are so many possible side effects it's scary.

By pinki53 On 2017.04.27 10:45
My mother (dementia - not Parkinsons) took Namenda and Cerafolin about 5 or 6 years ago. At that time, the side effects now mentioned were not known. But now that I see the list, yes, she had signs of many of the side effects. And I never noticed any positive results of these.
We quit giving these to her several years before she passed tho.

By flowers12 On 2017.05.21 20:57
We started the Namenda XR 3 1/2 weeks ago with the titration pack that the doctor gave us. Each week for 4 weeks increasing the dosage. After 3 full weeks I said no way were we continuing with this.
I called the neurologist and told him about the troublesome side effects I was noticing, sleeping most of the day, couldn't hardly walk due to his rubbery legs, more confusion, not able to talk etc. The doctor said we needed to ween him off of it so now it's taking 2 weeks at the lower dose to get him off of it. I'm praying that I'll be happy to see him back to where he was before this.

You just never know what to expect but are always hopeful that a new med will improve their quality of life. When he started on the Aricept a few years ago it was a wonderful improvement.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you