For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Adult day care or AFH? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By triciahaha On 2017.06.10 18:49
My husband was diagnosed 12 years ago, and is now 63. I still work full time.

Week before last, he got up and we agreed that it was Tueday, and he took his pills and I put his patch on him. I left for work, and when I got home that afternoon, he was missing. He got home about 45 minutes later, and told me he thought he had a doctor's appointment, so he got dressed and drove downtown. (This makes no sense on a lot of levels, but especially since I always take him to his appointments.) They told him at the doctor's office his appointment was the next day, and he got in an accident on the way home.
His driving has been suspect for some time, and this was his second accident (although the first was only a love tap at a red light). I took his keys away, and promised to arrange for an evaluation of his driving.

Today, I left to run a couple of errands and he was gone when I got home. He'd taken off on foot to go somewhere, and hadn't left me a note. I waited and was on the verge of calling the police when he appeared, so bent that his nose couldn't have been 30 inches from the floor, and he had fallen and skinned up his knees and shin pretty badly. He couldn't even speak intelligibly. So muddled. So sad.

So - now what? There is, of course, still the chance that a change in meds might help, but these low periods are getting much more frequent, and worse all the time. I don't know what to do. Adult family home? Adult day care? Someone to watch him while I'm at work? Stop working?

If any of you have had experience with these decisions, I'd like very much to hear from you.

Thanks folks.

By pinki53 On 2017.06.10 22:32
I understand your problem. I rarely leave my DH alone. He'll be 76 in August. He falls a lot. And will not always answer the phone when I call to tell him to take his meds.

I need some time for myself. I'm really burned out.
Thinking I may hire someone to come in for a few hours.

By LC On 2017.06.11 08:40
I was stilling working when my husband's PD got worst. I no longer felt that leaving him alone was an option. I am fortunate that that there is an adult day health care facility within minutes of my home. He still goes there even though I have retired. It gives me a break and they keep him involved in activities. I honestly don't think he would still be home if not for the the ADHC.

© MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you