For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Rollator/Walker combo Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By LC On 2017.06.13 14:01
Any advise on which to choose?

By flowers12 On 2017.06.13 14:31
My hubby wouldn't hear of having a walker as much as we needed one. I just started with a caregiver agency and they said we really had to have one for safety. Well, I went out last week and looked at many different ones. I chose a Rollator which has the seat if he needed to sit down to rest a bit. We started using it right away and now he really likes it and uses it all the time. We have a long hallway to go down to the bedroom/bathroom and it helps him to walk with bigger steps than the shuffle he has. It has brakes and is easily collapsible to go in the car.

By pinki53 On 2017.06.13 15:27
We have both.
Problem with the rollator is that my PWP tends to let it get way out in front of him and he ends up leaning to the point of falling. Of course when leaning like that he freezes up and can't get a step going. I'm constantly telling him to stand up straight and keep his legs near the rollator. Even his physical therapist had trouble getting him to stop leaning out with it. But the seat part is great. Sit at the sink to shave and brush teeth, etc.

I have seen video of using a stretch band on the legs of the rollator (or walker) and the band being behind the PWP's legs when they walk. The band touching their legs reminds them to put on the brakes I guess. But the person has to be able to sit down and then remove their legs from inside the band.
It doesn't work for us. :(

By Daisy123 On 2017.06.14 05:50
We have a rollator for many years but Dh has never been able to manage the braking mechanism, so it runs away from him and it is more dangerous as he cannot keep up with it and would fall. Therefore, we use it for transfers from bed to toilet only. He sits on the rollator and I push him. It's smaller and higher than a wheelchair.

He also has a u step walker which he can use but hates. When he is OFF he prefers me to hold both his hands and walk slowly backwards holding him up. This works best for him but not so good for my back and wrists.

I try to get him into the wheelchair whenever I can but we can get caught by sudden OFFs.

I know that the rollator works great for some people but a u step walker can be safer.

Oh, and when he goes outside the house, he refuses to use anything in case anyone would see him!!

By flowers12 On 2017.06.14 11:20
This last year or so I never let him go anywhere without me at his side. With the Rollator I'm at the ready to make sure it doesn't get ahead of him. I guess this is why I can't get anything done, I'm always following him around to make sure he doesn't fall. He sure does walk better with the Rollator.

By pinki53 On 2017.06.14 11:23
Daisy,
I know what you mean about him holding your hands and wrists. I have a bit of arthritis and it is painful when he squeezes. And when he starts leaning and putting his weight on my hands, my arms just can't hold him up.

I looked at the u step walkers. What looks so good about them is that the brake is engaged until he releases it to walk - opposite of the rollator.
But my goodness, $600+ for those!
If I knew it would help, I wouldn't hesitate. But that is a lot of money for something else that doesn't do any good.

At least my PWP doesn't argue anymore about using the wheelchair. I keep it in the van and we use it whenever we go anywhere. He used to move from it to a chair in restaurants and such. Now he just stays in the wheelchair.

A few years ago he could use a cane for balance, but it got to where he was leaning on those too much and freezing up. So we switched to tall walking sticks (about 5 ft long). Using 2 of these helped him to stand more upright (think like ski poles but good sturdy sticks instead).
You might try walking sticks.

By VioletV On 2017.06.14 14:21
Related to arms and wrists.
I have been concerned about my PWP husband harming my wrists andhands. So when he needs me to help with balance I insist that he grasp my inner forearm near the elbow--I then grasp his outer forearm near the elbow. It's the same position you use for grasping your own arms with your hands below your elbows.

That way he is not putting his weight on my hands and wrists. Hope my description makes sense, and that it is helpful.
VV

By sara hatch On 2017.06.14 15:55
My hubby uses his rollater all the time, indoors and out. When he is out I usually hold on to his upper arm just in case he stumbles or runs off of the sidewalk. Sometimes, not often, he will leave it in one room and walk to another and then wonder where it is. SIGH!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you