For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic A Piece of Advice from the Neuro Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By jcoff012 On 2017.06.15 15:07
Hi,

Carl and I saw the UCSF neuro yesterday and as usual, he had Carl walk a bit in the hallways. He was a bit concerned that he is now stooping forward more than he has in the past.

His simple advice that I want to share is this...practice holding your head up as if you are marching at attention and walk at least two miles a day. He said that if he made that small change, it would strengthen his neck muscles while getting him outside to exercise. He wanted to up Carl's Sinemet, but Carl still insists he can live with the tremors. He is very well aware of the limitations of long term Sinemet use and told the dr that he watched his Mom, so he would wait.

We also talked about jury duty. He gave Carl a doctor's excuse for permanent release from jury duty. He said he is being treated "for an on-going chronic disease which causes him great discomfort upon sitting for long periods of time." He told Carl that many people do not recognize Parkinson's as a valid disease, so he wouldn't name it, but included his name and contact information if they "required further clarification". Love this man. He "gets it".

By pinki53 On 2017.06.17 11:48
All of my DH's doctors and therapists have always encouraged exercise - especially walking. He will for a few weeks and then just quits. Same with speech exercises.

He has been on carb/levo for over 10 years now.

DISCLAIMER: This website shares news, information, personal opinions, and experiences related to Parkinson's disease and caring for people with Parkinson's. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking it because of something you have read on this website and its discussion forum.

© MyParkinsons.org · Published by jAess Media · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Sponsorship Assistance for this website and Forum has been provided by people like you