For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic How does your PWP spend time? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2017.07.01 10:03
Just curious what other PWP do with their day. My husband does nothing, I can suggest weeding, water the plants (just stand there with a hose, so not too taxing), helping around the house (dusting and easy things like that), reading but he can't read because of vision issues), go for a nice walk, but he does nothing.

I don't think it's good to just sit around all the time, and I know PD strips away motivation and apathy is a problem. I'm just wondering what others do (besides eating! We seem to have no issue getting up and about to snack!)?

By 839Ellen On 2017.07.01 15:46
My PWP spends a big part of the day sleeping He does do some reading and does help a little for meal time like getting silverware and pouring drinks. We do try to take a walk but doesn't do enough exercising to help the PD.

By Checkmate On 2017.07.01 23:06
My DH has tried and stopped many social programs through out the years. Most of these social gatherings have been designed for seniors and because he had young onset parkinson's he could never fully fit in. However as the years have gone by he has become more accepting and out of pure desperation this year I found him an adult recreation program that he goes to two days a week and he enjoys. They have a supervised exercise session, board games, puzzles and lunch.
The other days we have a personal care worker visit one hour am to help him bathe and dress and one hour pm to either sit and talk or take a walk. This year has been a turning point for him to accept outside help as his symptoms have got much worse. He cannot or is not interested in doing any household chores. He watches TV. He is also inclined to watch the same movie over and over again. He also sleeps and rests alot.

By Lynnie2 On 2017.07.03 11:20
My husband sleeps a lot too, but I think it's those darn pills he has to take. If we are doing something with the family or something special I have been delaying the pills as I know they put him to sleep.
He walks with his walker around the house and on nice days we go down around the neighborhood for a walk.
He sits outside on the porch on nice days too.
He also goes to a Day Away Program at the Alzheimer's Society so that gives him an outing and I get a break too.
A PSW comes on another day for 6 hours in which they do things like walking and exercising etc. This also gives me a chance to do things on my own.
We recently went on a big trip which I wasn't sure he could take but we had to see our granddaughter graduate from Grade 8 as she was one of the Valedictorians.
We took our time so he got lots of rest before the ceremony.
We don't socialize like we used to as he doesn't really talk that much. I miss that part of our life, but you do what you have to do just to keep things going smoothly.
We also have a PSW shower and dress him twice a week, so that helps me too.
Try to get as much help that is offered if you can as being a caregiver can be so tiring at times as you very well know I am sure.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you