For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Zero-protein challenge to determine C/L dose Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By VioletV On 2017.07.21 07:56
This has worked really well for us. I do these every 4-6 months to check on whether the C/L response has changed.

To determine the best dose and the best timing of Sinemet (C/L) I do a one day no-protein challenge. I give him hearty meals, but no protein all day long (for example, oatmeal with toast and lots of fruit) baked potato with butter, lots of veggies, roasted broccoli, heavy pasta without meat or cheese. Without protein you know you are seeing the actual response to Sinemet.

I learned that, at this advanced point, my pwp (dx62 n82) needs 1 pill every two hours. If you are feeding the PWP protein without monitoring it, you just never know what the actual carbidopa/levodopa response is. The last time I did it I gave him his pill every 2 hours, then mid afternoon waited to give him a dose until tremor started. That told me how long it took for the C/L to wear off. I learned that if he had pills every 3 hours he was waiting too long, and would tremor between doses. Makes a HUGE difference to know the actual dose response. Otherwise I might have thought the medicine wasn't working for him. I only give him protein at one meal a day -- usually at lunch. In the afternoons he gets 1.5 pills every two hours. If I can do this and not miss a dose he has many days with no tremor at all.

By mylove On 2017.07.21 09:28
This is genius. I'm going to have him try it.

This is going to take a while for us to wrap our heads around and remember. Yesterday we went to a ball game. He rested all day for it, then got hungry on the ferry and ate a giant sausage dog, automatically popped his pills five minutes later when his pill alarm went off, and crashed badly. We had kind of a painful and miserable night instead of a fun one. Ugh.

By flowers12 On 2017.07.21 10:04
Violet what a great idea you gave us. I will try this!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you