For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Constipation - please provide suggestions Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By vsgeetha On 2017.07.24 06:20
Hi,
My Father-in-law is suffering from PD for the past 14 years. He also has extreme constipation for the past 4 years. He spends almost around 6hrs or more(not continously) in a day in the toilet trying to relieve his bowels. And when he spends more time exerting pressure his body becomes very weak and he needs help to move and walk. The rest of the time he lives a sedentary lifestyle, spent sitting on a chair. We now have someone coming in to help, who supports him and takes him for small walks (50 meters) 3 to 4 times a day.

My FIL's dad had died of colon cancer, after which my FIL has been very particular on daily BM. He believes that if BM does not happen on a daily basis it might lead to Colon cancer. And that we believe is one of the reason why he spends more than 6hrs a day on the toilet seat trying to relieve himself.

We have tried lubricants in the past, but have not been very successful.
Is constipation this bad for all with PD?

By flowers12 On 2017.07.24 12:51
My hubby has occasional constipation and the doctor suggested that he eat Raisin Bran cereal. That certainly works for him. He also will eat 1 prune each morning if he feels he needs it.

By LC On 2017.07.24 14:25
My husband was having problems with constipation and his doctor said to use Miralax on a daily basis. It works wonderfully. It takes some time to determine the right dosage. Too little won't work at all and too much can cause diarrhea.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you