For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Does calcium or milk bother your PWP? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By jcoff012 On 2017.07.25 14:07
Lately, I have noticed Carl is needing to lie down after his breakfast if he eats a simple bowl of cereal. To me, the culprit might be the milk. Is that an issue with Sinemet? I use 2%, so he tried it...still the same...same dose, same cereal...we don't drink coffee. I would appreciate any input.

By dans316 On 2017.07.25 14:37
Jane,

A pint of milk has 8 grams of protein per 8 oz serving, the 2% only refers to the fat content.

Me Ke Aloha
Dan

By jcoff012 On 2017.07.25 15:25
Duh...you are right...I read up on Sinemet/milk and it says many PWP are adversely affected. Thanks for my reeducation! Lol

Hope all is well, Dan!

By dans316 On 2017.07.25 16:37
Hi Jane,
All is okay. Just curious when was it discovered that protein and PD medicines could be a problem?? On 7/19/2014 I posted on this board about June's weight loss and mentioned that I was giving her lots of ice cream and milk shakes. No one mentioned that there could be a problem. On the advice of her PCP and a dietician they suggested adding high protein powder to the milk shakes and also cereals with added protein, so I wondered if this interaction of protein and Sinement was just a recent discovery????

Me Ke Aloha

Dan
Dan

By jcoff012 On 2017.07.25 17:00
Dan, let me find the article...The article I read was actually a very good "read". It is found on the Parkinson's.org website, and the part about Sinemet and milk is on page 14. As for a date, I can't find one...

As for giving June ice cream, etc., it was a loving, caring thing to do. It may have upped her reaction to Sinemet, I don't know, I am not a doctor. But, you were trying to give her food she enjoyed at a time when keeping her eating was the priority. Don't beat yourself up. We all can only do what we think is best, given the information we have.

The site is The National Parkinson's Foundation and the article is called Nutrition Matters.

By LOHENGR1N On 2017.07.25 20:18
Dan, I just skimmed through "Parkinson's Disease Handbook" (putout by the A.P.D.A.) I know that this copy is at least 25 years old and it mentions "The effect of protein on absorption of levodopa has been studied When levodopa is taken with a meal rich in protein , the absorption is delayed and the levels of levodopa in the blood are reduced. Many times PCP doctors and dietitians don't know because they are only vaguely familiar with P.D. Also there is the thinking that some is better than none so if it is easier to take with ice cream at least some is getting into the patient. Also there comes a time when we say to hell with it and get a banana split! We all do the best We can with what we got at that time Dan. Jane's right don't beat yourself up with second guessing.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you