For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Putting it in perspective... Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By jcoff012 On 2017.08.15 22:07
Do you think that caregivers are capable of putting life with a PWP in perspective? The reason I ask is that our 18 month old great-niece is having cancer surgery tomorrow. As I sat here talking to our niece, her Mom, it "hit" me that my husband and our problems pale when compared to a young mother facing a cancer diagnosis for her little girl. Our lives have been full and long, compared to an uncertain future for this little one.

Thinking this all through, it struck me that caregivers get wrapped up and worn out from constantly being everything to their significant other. So much so, that the reality of another situation makes us unable to empathize as we should. Or, do we become insensitive to others' problems because we feel our troubles are somehow worse?

I would like to think we all have the capability to widen our circle of compassion. I guess tonight I need to "hear" that we don't lose our humanity as this dreaded disease progresses.

By Lynnie2 On 2017.08.16 11:02
I have a lot of friends or relatives who have health problems in their family and I still feel sorry for their pain.

By jcoff012 On 2017.08.16 22:30
Lynne, I'm sorry for your family's health issues, but am glad to see empathy doesn't diminish. It is hard to imagine NOT caring, but thought maybe the longer we are so self absorbed with PD the less we have to give to others in our life.

The baby did well in the surgery, now we are all waiting for results. Poor little family.

By Daybyday On 2017.08.29 18:39
Being a caregiver, as you well know, is so all encompassing and exhausting that we tend to get completely wrapped up in our long list of issues and problems going on at any given time. It is good for us to hear what is going on with others, good or bad. It DOES help us to keep our lives in perspective. This disease has so many different facets and each person is affected so differently that sometimes it feels like it's hard to identify with other caregivers because their PWP may have a totally different manifestation of the disease. I so hope your grand niece is doing well since her surgery. So hard to have this happening to your relatives.

By sara hatch On 2017.09.03 20:44
Our PD support group helps put things in perspective as we meet once a month and compare situations. Also we have a caregivers support group too. When I hear other stories it helps me cope with mine. I feel a great deal of sympathy for anyone who has any kind of health problem. Do you attend any kind of meetings for PWP?

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you