For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Thank you for posting...knowing someone may understand Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Lynn03 On 2017.10.30 21:10
I just signed in today. Basically, my husband's PD diagnosis is relatively new within this last year. But the changes have been coming on for a lot longer. And people in our world, even those closest to us, have no idea about the magnitude of these changes.

At this point, I've been making adjustments in our household and lifestyle to make things easier for him for years. The limitations are now increasing and in less than a month, he is also under going a knee replacement surgery. I hope for him that pain is reduced and functioning is improved, but I think he totally underestimates the degree to which the PD hampers his mobility.

I found this group today as I was searching for information on how to make the best of this care giving experience which has come along and is beginning to leave me wondering "what's next?"

Thank you for sharing your stories and supporting each other, for in just finding this space, I am encouraged that someone will understand some of what happens in living this very changed life.

By 839Ellen On 2017.10.31 07:26
Be aware that the anesthesia may affect him because of the PD. Also my husband had hip replacement surgery and reacted badly with hallucinations, agitation etc from the pain medications. Eventually, they stopped all pain meds except tylenol. Just giving you a heads up. Good luck...

By exhausted wife On 2017.10.31 07:54
Good luck with the coming surgery. Having been through 2 successful knee replacements, I urge you to force your loved one to exercise immediately. I was walking within an hour and the recovery was great (total mobility). With PD, this will be tough. The PT staff needs to be aware and force his movement.
Additionally, please check with the nursing staff and be sure that your loved one has all his meds and that they are administered on time. When my husband was hospitalized, I had to bring in several of the medications myself from home (this to one of the largest teaching/research hospitals in the northeast). The staff was amazed at the difference these meds made in his demeanor and recovery.

By Checkmate On 2017.10.31 11:57
Just to add that my PWP also had hip surgery and had hallucinations three days after the surgery. They had moved him to the rehabilitation Ward because everything looked good. I had to sleep at the hospital
with him. Once he saw me he settled down and the hallucinations got better. Again just a heads up this does not happen to everyone.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you