For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic UTI Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2017.11.08 11:38
Are PWP more at risk for UTIs than non-PWP? My husband had a UTI and the doctor commented that it is unusual for men to get one, which I had never heard. Has anyone else heard that?

I am wondering if my husband has another UTI going on as well-he is hallucinating more today than normal (what a strange sentence that is when you think about it from a non-PD perspective), and I have had a very hard time getting him to drink fluids lately even though I have a huge variety of things to choose from. Can someone get UTIs close together? Or is it possible he never really got over the first one?

By Checkmate On 2017.11.08 11:57
Is your husband on antibiotics for the UTI?
My husband has had at least three UTI's. On one occasion the antibiotic used caused hallucinating.
We rchanged the antibiotic and the hallucinations stopped. I'm not certain why he gets the UTI's but I believe it's all the meds he is taking.

By junipersage On 2017.11.08 12:30
Yes, PWP are more at risk. Here's some info from a Parkinson's website: "Parkinsonís disease patients are prone to urinary tract infections. The condition is characterized by a loss of nerve cells. When the bladder is full, it alerts the brain through nerve cells and the brain uses additional nerve cells to tell the muscles to relax and allow the urine to be excreted. On the other hand, the patient may be able to urinate but does not have enough muscle control to completely empty all urine from the bladder. Thus, Parkinsonís disease patients have a hard time emptying their bladder, creating a breeding ground for bacteria."

By lurkingforacure On 2017.11.08 14:18
Great, as if he doesn't have enough to deal with.

It doesn't sound like much can be done prevention-wise, either, if the UTI is caused by his inability to fully empty his bladder, since we can't do anything about that.

Thanks for the replies.

By LOHENGR1N On 2017.11.08 16:51
Juniper, It's not the loss of nerve cells that causes the problem (we don't lose the nerve cells) but the dopamine is missing which serves as the fuse between those nerve cells to complete the message (circuit). I don't want to seem like I'm splitting hairs here but if we are going to ever have a chance of beating this damn disease we have to have info right especially from or on other sites to understand how the disease works. Thanks for the info though.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you