For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic PD is taking its toll on me, can I vent? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Trusting On 2017.11.13 01:42
Hello friends,
The past few weeks have begun to take a toll on me as my husband has fallen 5 times, 3 of those the ambulance had to come pick him up. He wasn't injured but it stressed me out just the same.
A physical therapist was ordered and she told him in no uncertain words that if he chooses not to use his walker (at all times) that he will one day run out of luck, break a bone and be in a nursing facility. He used it for about one day and then it has been pushed to another room. ugh!
He has some dementia and I take that into account but so much of it just feels like stubbornness to me. I'm tired of telling him things over and over and he's tired of me telling him things over and over. What can I do? Do I just let things happen and let him make his own decisions about this? He also is beginning to be somewhat argumentative with me. I'm sure this is part of the dementia but I'm not handling it very good. When I first came to this site I was so cheerful and upbeat, wondering why everyone was making such a big deal of PD! I apologize to every one of you.....this is tough! Thanks for being here and letting me vent.

By jcoff012 On 2017.11.13 12:11
Of course you can vent, but if that was venting, I am amazed! You sound very calm, just very tired. It’s strange, but yesterday and today have been less than wonderful for me, too. As you say, I try to be upbeat and positive, but his anger at seemingly “nothing” is getting old! It comes out of the blue, makes no sense, and would be over quickly if I gave into his rant...However, I don’t...generally, I walk away til it is over. Yesterday, I lashed back...and today, it is extremely tense and quiet here! I wish it didn’t have to be this way, and I fully understand it is the PD, but, as you say, it gets tiring and “old”. Sometimes *we* need to let our PWP know the anger issues are NOT ok. Then, as I will do today, we have to let it go...the PWP seems unable to empathize as he/she once could, so why let *your* day be ruined? Onward and upward! We are all in this together.

***Update: At noon, this same day, it was all over! No real explanation, just, “ This is a great lunch. Thanks!” Go figure. PD stinks!

By LOHENGR1N On 2017.11.20 20:07
Rereading this today has brought a few things to mind. One main one is if you think you've got something figured out, seems P.D. laughs and announces really? what about this then!I've been falling a lot. One day 3 times within 10 minutes or so sometime no falls one day and half a dozen or more the next. Parkinson's plays cruel games. No being able to trust my legs anymore I got a transfer wheelchair to get out around the neighborhood in. Ahh, smugness. P.D. challenge accepted! A couple days later around 8 A.M. washing my face turn to get towel WHAM! kissed the floor ambulance ride to E.R. with dislocated shoulder. P.D. ... roll around the neighborhood with that smart a**! Now I can roll around doing only circles with one arm to push with. As for the anger? I'm not saying that this is what's happening to others but a few months ago while out chatting with the neighbors my P.C.A. looked at me and asked are you mad about something? Me no do I sound it? Yes! Oh thanks for telling me (my voice was waning and I was trying to raise the volume and it came out I guess sounding mad).
Oh yeah the dislocated shoulder? My right arm that I've used my cane with for the past 15 years or so. Now I can't use it to aide my walking! Parkinson's is such a lovely playmate.

By aleccymru On 2017.11.21 12:55
Lohengrin: sorry to hear about your accident. However, I have to say your posts from a PD patient's point of view are invaluable. Keep them coming, please!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you