For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic New and Needing to Talk Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By melaniemarie On 2017.11.16 14:47
Hello. I am new here. My father is 66yo. For the last 3 years I've been seeing a change in my father's gross motor movement. I was a researcher in the field of Neuroscience. It's taken me a long time to convince him to see a neuro, it's finally happening in December.

In 3 years his movement has gone from just gross motor issues to now, fine motor issues. He has no strength to lift a spoon, he can barely write, he can barely walk or get out of a chair. He doesn't have tremors, there is some trembling in his lips and legs in the mornings.

I'm very distraught and feel that it's progressed so fast and to a point that may soon be unmanageable. I myself can't even research the disease bc I'm trying to stay in denial about the outcome until he gets a formal diagnosis. He has told me he will kill himself.

I'm still hoping it could be something else, but nothing else seems to fit.

By Olympia On 2017.11.16 18:51
So sorry for you and your father......from my experience I will tell everyone to make sure that you go with your loved ones to all Dr office visits.....and go in with them...do not wait in the waiting room!!.....make sure that your Dr knows that he has said that he would hurt himself....this is already a sign of depression.... I will not take appointments past 3 months.... things change sometimes fast ....this is a really great site...and you will find lots of information in others post ..... thinking of you..... Olympia

By melaniemarie On 2017.11.16 20:47
Thank you, Olympia. Unfortunately, I am across the country. I am on the fence, but I think I will have my brother go with him to the first visit. My father is a very proud man. It's been like pulling teeth to get him to recognize what's going on. I have put myself in charge of all the paperwork and hopefully will be talking directly with the MD. My brother didn't even see what was going on until I explained it to him, so I can't imagine he's going to be a very strong advocate. My husband wants my dad to come live with us, but there is NO way my dad will agree. Again, thank you for your thoughts.

By Olympia On 2017.11.16 21:08
You are right about having a family member go to the appointment.... I don't want to be giving you information that you might already know....but usually on the first visit they ask the patient who else can know there personal information and be able to talk to the Dr..... That paperwork is usually on this first visit...He needs to designate you on the forms...hope that this helps....

By jcoff012 On 2017.11.17 14:16
Welcome to the Forum. There are a great many here who will respond to your post. This time of year a lot of the members are slower to respond because of holiday preparation, family obligations, and such. But, there are a lot of caregivers here who fully understand or who can empathize with your thoughts.

My husband, Carl, is an anomaly so far. He will soon be ten years out with his diagnosis, but is doing remarkably well. I, of course, recognize huge changes, because we have been married over fifty years. He is, however, still very active, exercises, builds and creates things such as remodeling our backyard. He still drives, too. At almost seventy, I would say he is very lucky with his PD, because other than his outbursts of anger, and his swaying when his pills are wearing off, he functions quite normally. I tell you this because you need to know that PD is not always an immediate death sentence. We know that there is no cure. We know that PD will become worse. But, there is always hope and you must try to do your best now and in the future. Don't assume the worst. No one knows what lies ahead, so try to keep putting one foot in front of the other. We, too, go to his neurologist in December...notice I say "we" because since his first appointment, this wonderful doctor made it clear he WANTED me in the room for Carl's visits. "We are a team." His doctor's words. Take care. Come back often, as I am sure others will stop in soon. Good luck on this journey.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you