For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Choking Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By LC On 2018.05.10 07:52
My DH is coming home next week after a choking incident. He was in the hospital for a while and now is in rehab. Apparently he has swallowing issues. They now have him on dysphasia diet. I guess the reality of what the future brings is creeping up on me. His walking, speech, and cognition have declined. Our 45th anniversary is on Saturday. I miss that man I married.

By lurkingforacure On 2018.05.10 09:10
I am sorry to read your post, as I am sure others are as well. We all dread the future and somehow coping with the demands of life with PD temporarily blocks us from having to face it. At least for me. But then I'll get a slap-in-the-face reminder of what's happening and where we are in the journey. I don't know why, but it's always a shock, even though I've been on this PD path for over a decade and know what PD brings. Then the grieving starts all over again, for the newest loss, or recognition of where we now are, and it's just so painful.

There's no way to it but through it, as the saying goes, but man, it's tough. Hang on, and try to remember that man you married 45 years ago. He's still in there:)

By greyeyed123 On 2018.05.11 14:05
Mom has had some trouble with swallowing for a while. Two or three years ago, she started taking her meds on a spoon of yogurt, and almost always needs a chaser spoon of yogurt for everything to go down. Since weaning her lorazepam, her swallowing has improved some. If we are at a Dr.'s appointment or something, she can take her meds with water alone without choking. But she no longer eats steak, hamburger, or other things that are difficult to swallow. She can eat chicken, but timing it away from her parkinson's meds is a pain. Generally she has been doing better these last 2-3 months...I think because I took her off her muscle relaxers in December, and sped up her taper off lorazepam a tad. I'm a little bit terrified she might start falling down again, as she broke her L1 in January. Any more falls could be very bad.

DISCLAIMER: This website shares news, information, personal opinions, and experiences related to Parkinson's disease and caring for people with Parkinson's. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking it because of something you have read on this website and its discussion forum.

© MyParkinsons.org · Published by jAess Media · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Sponsorship Assistance for this website and Forum has been provided by people like you