For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic FYI, if you are interested... Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By jcoff012 On 2017.04.10 16:44
This morning, I had my first visit with a counselor....stress management! My blood pressure goes down, then up, so my primary care made me an appointment! If anyone is interested, I will be happy to revisit to tell you her "take" on how to manage.

I go back on April 21 to start to learn to "let go" of things I cannot change and ways to cope. She says she has strategies that are specifically geared towards helping to handle the stress of being a caregiver!

I had to do something...my life is not normal! She was correct about one thing...I cannot go on like this, but I cannot change a chronic illness, so I need to find ways to decompress!

By 839Ellen On 2017.04.11 12:36
I think quite a few of us would like to hear her strategies for coping with our stress.

By lurkingforacure On 2017.04.11 12:59
Yes, that could be so helpful, thanks!

By Trusting On 2017.04.11 18:47
I would love to hear the strategies. When I worked in a high stress job each desk kept a bottle of bubbles for us to blow when things became crazy. lol. I really don't know if it helped but it was fun.
I was counseled about 20 yrs ago b/c of stressing out and I learned how to not try to control other people but somehow PD is different. I let go of control but now b/c of dementia I've had to take it back and "I don't want to take it back". My life isn't even as bad as some of yours but I struggle too. We need all the help we can get don't we?

By jcoff012 On 2017.04.12 10:24
Sorry to not follow up, more Dr visits. The cardiologist is VERY pleased like am going! More after next week!

By flowers12 On 2017.04.12 11:33
Yes, I'm very interested in learning how to cope with the PD and the dementia moments. Thank you for sharing the knowledge you learn.

By moonswife On 2017.04.12 22:28
Looks like a lot of us are going to be waiting anxiously for any tips.

By hotlyn On 2017.04.13 03:52
Not to do with the stress of a caregiver.. Yet !! I suffer badly from stress and on antidepressants so just recently I took the plunge and saw a clinical hpynotherapist . And I've got to say it has been fantastic . We talked for an hour and pinpointed some main issues for me and then she made a disc for me to listen to at home . It's 20 mins long. It's also on my iPad and iPhone. . It can be a bit tricky finding the time I must admit when the house is very quiet. I turn all the phones off and tv . Usually do it in the arvo when he is asleep . But truely just that 20 mins of meditation every day has been been a big help. It's nothing deep .i had watched people get hypnotised on cruise ships and thought nope never doing that .😀 But like I said this is deep meditation and thankfully it's working for me

DISCLAIMER: This website shares news, information, personal opinions, and experiences related to Parkinson's disease and caring for people with Parkinson's. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking it because of something you have read on this website and its discussion forum.

© MyParkinsons.org · Published by jAess Media · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Sponsorship Assistance for this website and Forum has been provided by people like you